Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Trouble recommending books

I'm in a swap where I make a list of 20 books I have read and would recommend to someone. I'm finding this surprisingly hard, especially the part where I defend my choices. It's not that I haven't read enough books, I have...maybe not as much as I would like, but I'm getting there...but looking at a list of books I have read on Goodreads.com, I notice that there is a large number of books that I'm just indifferent about. I don't hate them and I enjoyed them enough when I read them, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to someone else. Like "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", it's an alright book for what it is, but I'm not dying to get it out there for the masses to read.  Or the other problem, I read and liked it, but it was so massive and broad in its story, I didn't absorb it the first time around. Like "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I would actually recommend that one, but I have a hard time explaining exactly why. Doesn't help that it is has been a couple of years since I read it. :(

Out of 20 I have only gotten 15, and its taken me 2 weeks to come up with that list. I'm not worried about getting it done, just a little bothered about the content of what I am reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment