Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Earthquake in Haiti

I like to think I am an empathetic person...I've always wanted to help people and be in a position to do so. When the devastating earthquake in Haiti hit...at first, it didn't register to me...it happened so far away and I hadn't seen any coverage on the event...I'd mostly just didn't watch any at first...I knew it would be so horrible and it would be such a downer...as horrible as that makes me sound, I didn't want to deal with it at first...last night, Jose and I watched a sort of telethon on Larry King and I could no longer ignore what was happening. Over 150,000 presumed dead, people still trapped under rubble, so many children orphaned, medicare is still so scarce...these people have probably been hit in the worst way in their history. Regardless of what's been done in the past and whatever bad/weird blood is between Haiti and the U.S...it is our responsibility as human beings to do what we can for them.

I've donated money to the American Red Cross through my ITunes account, Unicef is another reputable charity organization, unicefusa.org...the texting of HAITI to 90999 or UNICEF to 20222 is hit or miss...a few days ago I had a friend who said she did it and it worked, last night another friend said she did it and it didn't...so if those don't work please find the time to go online and donate...it doesn't have to be $100.00, if we all just donated $25.00, that would be more then enough for these people to get some relief.

Many other organizations are also going or are already in Haiti...there are so many needs...the animals, the babies who need formula...find your niche and do what you can...

My blog is public so it is possible someone may be viewing this even though I have no followers...if you are reading this...thank you...

No comments:

Post a Comment