Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wanting to be a little more frugal

Every once in a while I become obsessed with saving money. I don't really know why, but I go through periods of not wanting to spend as much (which never works out) and wanting to cut back on some things.

I've been thinking in the last few days about where I could cut back and try and save a few bucks...so far this is what I've come up with:

-I changed Mary's diaper from Pampers to Huggies. Huggies is only a few bucks cheaper, but the Commissary sells a box of Huggies with 120-something diapers for $30.00...they don't sell a box of Pampers. I used to buy a pack of 52(? going off memory and my memory is not the sharpest tool on my box) for $17.99...so to get at least more then 120, I would have to buy three packs of Pampers with 52 diapers in each, so I would be spending $53.97...so I'm glad to save the $20.00....not lucky for me, Mary hasn't had a bad reaction to them, so they are working for now.

-I've also changed her wipes. I used to buy the pampers wipes pack which were about $12.00, I bought the same amount from Pure and Gentle for $4.00...now I can't say I like them and they certainly rubbed Mary the wrong way at first, but it seems to be working for now. We'll see if I keep buying them when they are gone.

-I'm going to make my own laundry detergent. The cost effectiveness is astounding and reading reviews from people who do it make me want to try it. I'm gonna buy everything I need this weekend and try it out.

-I'm also gonna use white distilled vinegar for cleaning. 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar is supposed to be a decent all purpose cleaner. I'm gonna try that out too!

That's all I could really come up with for now.

Time to go, Mary is trippin out over gosh knows what.

2 comments:

  1. Another great savings idea is to make a menu plan and plan to buy what is on sale and what you have a coupon for, i have been able to cut the grocery bill by about $30 regularly (monthly) I also do not have cable (a cost that i dont want to incur for a tv that i don't watch )

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW i found you on swap bots (blog swap) :)

    ReplyDelete